Recipe: Lime Cupcakes with Coconut Frosting Sprinkled with Graham Crackers
Yes, I actually made those…and yes, I am the photographer also. I have so many skills, sometimes I even amaze myself. So anyone who knows me, knows that I am not a cooking/baking/anything domestic-type woman. I am more the sleep all day/eat at fancy restaurants/wants the man to cook and clean-type woman…BUT today I made an exception…for HIM and he better appreciate it!!! (OMG…I am obviously very pathetic and crazy about this guy…ugh, I hate when I get ridiculous like this!) I know these cupcakes may not look like a big deal, but they are. Why?? Because I don’t even like grocery shopping and I went grocery shopping 2 days in a row, and I spent time mixing and actually baking, and even braved rush hour traffic and the grocery crowd to make these!! If he doesn’t like these, he better fake it and act like they taste professional!!
And if he breaks up with me 2 weeks from now, I will slit his tires and burn all his shit!! LOL…just playing, I’m not that crazy. OK, I am gonna stop rambling now…here is the recipe.
CUPCAKES (This made exactly 22 cupcakes)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour (or you can make your own, which is 3/4 cup flour and 1 Tblespoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 Tblespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 Tblespoon finely grated lime peel
- 1/4 teaspoon neon-green food coloring
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (or you can make your own, which is 3/4 cup mils and 3/4 Tblespoon lemon juice)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line standard muffin pan with paper liners. Whisk both flours in medium bowl. Beat butter in large bowl until smooth. Add sugar; beat to blend. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then next 3 ingredients (batter may look curdled). Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with buttermilk in 2 additions. Spoon scant 1/3 cup batter in each liner. –> Ok so I basically ignored all of these step by step directions and just put everything in at the same time and mixed it. My cupcakes are still pretty good and fluffy.
2. Bake cupcakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, 20-25 min. Cool for 10 min. Frost as desired.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar (this is an estimate, I basically added sugar until the frosting looked thick enough)
- 3 drops of coconut flavoring
- coconut flakes, if desired (I put in like 2 cups of coconut flakes, and it was WAY too much and my frosting came out very thick and it was heard to pipe)
- food coloring (optional –> I didn’t use food coloring)
1. Soften butter
2. Add sugar and butter. Stir until smooth.
3. Add flavoring and food coloring. Stir.
4. Refrigerate overnight.
As an extra topping, I crushed graham crackers and sprinkled it on top.
Props go to my little sister for doing the actual icing. Hope you enjoy! And Happy Birthday to my boyfriend!! (Gosh, after being single for over 3 years, that word still sounds foreign coming out of my mouth.)